And I am home
And I am home again

Blue eyes laughing in the sun
Laughing in the rain
Baby's got blue eyes

And I am home
Again

Overall Meaning

The song "Blue Eyes" by Elton John is a beautiful love song that portrays the deep love the singer has for his partner who has blue eyes. In the first verse, the singer talks about how deep and vast the blue eyes of his lover are. The blue eyes are compared to the deep blue sea on a blue day, which shows how enchanting they are. However, he is soon going to be away from her, and he feels the pain of leaving her alone. The chorus of the song is about how the blue eyes of his lover are holding back tears and pain because she is alone once again.

The second verse of the song talks about how beautiful the blue eyes are – how they resemble a clear blue sky that watches over him. The singer's love for these beautiful blue eyes is deep and profound, and he longs to be by her side. The chorus is repeated twice, portraying the feeling of being home when he is next to his lover. The song's lyrics are an expression of how deeply, emotionally connected the singer is to his partner's eyes, which reflect her emotions.

Line by Line Meaning

Blue eyes
The persona is acknowledging the subject's blue eyes.

Baby's got blue eyes
The subject (baby) of the song is described to have blue eyes.

Like a deep blue sea
The subject's blue eyes are compared to that of a deep blue sea, which could be interpreted as captivating, vast, and powerful.

On a blue, blue day
The use of 'blue, blue day' could be interpreted as a metaphor for sadness or a solemn time.

When the morning comes
The morning symbolizes the start of a new day or a new beginning. The persona is suggesting that they will be leaving or going away in the morning.

I'll be far away
The persona emphasizes that they will be leaving or going away in the morning and will be far from the subject.

And I say
The persona introduces the chorus of the song with a transition from the verses.

Blue eyes holding back the tears
The persona notes that the subject's blue eyes seem to be holding back tears or pain.

Holding back the pain
The persona doubles down on the previous line, reiterating that the subject's blue eyes seem to be in pain.

And she's alone
The persona reveals that the subject is alone, possibly causing the pain in her blue eyes.

Again
The persona emphasizes the recurrence of the subject being alone and in pain.

Like a clear blue sky
The subject's blue eyes are now compared to a clear blue sky, which could represent a sense of clarity, freedom, or tranquility.

Watching over me
The persona suggests that the subject's blue eyes are watching over them, possibly indicating a sense of protection or guidance.

Ooh, I love blue eyes
The persona expresses their fondness for blue eyes in general, and possibly for the subject's blue eyes in particular.

When I'm by her side
The persona notes that when they are with the subject, they are happy and content.

Where I long to be
The persona reveals that being with the subject is where they truly want to be.

I will see
The persona transitions to the chorus of the song, possibly indicating that their sight of the subject's blue eyes triggers a sense of comfort or home.

Laughing in the sun
The persona depicts the subject's blue eyes as a source of happiness and laughter, despite the weather or the circumstances.

Laughing in the rain
The persona doubles down on the previous line, reiterating that the subject's blue eyes are a source of joy and positivity regardless of the situation.

And I am home
The persona concludes the chorus by suggesting that the sight of the subject's blue eyes makes them feel at home or at peace.

And I am home again
The persona emphasizes the recurring theme of being home or at peace when they see the subject's blue eyes.

Lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, Word Collections Publishing, Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
Written by: Elton John, Gary Anthony Osborne

Lyrics Licensed & Provided by LyricFind

To comment on or correct specific content, highlight it

ncG1vNJzZmirn6O2pLTIrapnm5%2BifLe1w56maIKfnbugdKSlq6imWWSPrcHEmHyynaM%3D